St. Nicetas Monastery is situated in the northern part of Pereslavl near the road to Yaroslavl. We know that the monastery was established before Pereslavl was founded in XII century. Chernigov Shrine was built in XII century on the road to the monastery.
There is Cathedral of St. Nicetas in the centre of the architectural ensemble. It was built by the order of the Russian Tsar Ivan the Terrible in the 16th century. The cathedral has been reconstructed in the XVIII, XIX, XX centuries. There were ancient icons made by very talanted masters. At the end of the 19th century the walls of the cathedral were painted by the group of the Russian artists headed by Safonov. Now we have only a small part of it.
The Bell-Tower (1668) is situated in the south of the cathedral.
The time of the building of the east Cells near the Bell-Tower is the 17th- 18th centuries.
In the south-west corner of the St. Nicetas Cathedral you can see a small shrine. It was built on the place where the cell of the founder of the monastery was situated. The pictures on the walls of the shrine are tell us about the life of St. Nicetas.
Historic architectural monuments of Pereslavl-Zalessky