Pereslavl-Zalessky is one of the ancient cities of central Russia. The town was founded in 1152 by prince Yury Dolgoruky. It is located halfway between Moscow and Yaroslavl, about 130 km North-East of Moscow on the bank of Pleshcheevo Lake. Here, in 1693, young Peter the Great constructed a "funny fleet" which became a prototype of the first Russian fleet on the Baltic sea.
Pereslavl-Zalessky is the southernmost town of Yaroslavl region and belongs to the Golden Ring of the historical cities of Russia. The pearl of its architecture is the Cathedral of Transfiguration of the Saviour (see the picture above; JPEG 47Kb), the oldest surviving monument in Central Russia.
In 1993 the University of Pereslavl was established.